Tuesday, January 22, 2013

pre term inspiration, semester starts tomorrow!!.

As i start this semester (Spring 2013) my 2nd in the SJSU SLIS program. I am full of excitement, doubt, stress, fear, and as well as my constantly renewed love for books and gratitude for everyone who  lets me read, makes me read new things in new ways, and helps me read. As well as the books and authors who open my mind and heart to new realities and provide stories full of keen insights into the mysteries of how other people view the world, and teach lessons that can't be conveyed or taught in any other way, through any other medium. The potential for new thriving individual imaginations and creative intelligences are what keeps me going. Even with this optimism from time to time I get disillusioned, then once again i turn the page, and open myself to the hobby no, the lifestyle of enhancing the power of reading which is often transformative and restorative, inspiring, and insightful.

 I hope I can avoid the page turning burnout.

I look forward to my two classes this term. Leadership in Information sciences and materials for young adults.

Read on!

Drew
  

1 comment:

  1. It is amazing what turning a page can do. At the BAEER Fair (Bay Area Environmental Educators Resource Fair) this weekend there were some slow periods, or maybe to be more accurate I should say there were a few busy periods sandwiched in between very long slow periods, but anyway.... I had time to read a book from our sale table. It is called Ecotopia and it is a combination of both dystopian and utopian views of a world some time in the future (the book was written in the 1970's and was meant to be about the 1990's).

    The state of the world, outside of the land of Ecotopia, was pretty bad. The world inside Ecotopia is pretty wonderful. So on the one hand, I imagined what life will be like if we don't make massive changes to the way we as societies on this planet live, and it was pretty dreadful. On the other hand, I got to see what life could be like if we did make massive changes and that was pretty wonderful. But... I had to wonder if we would make those changes and that left me pretty worried. All of those feelings from turning pages in one book!

    Pretty amazing what the power of words on a page (or scrolling on a tablet) can do!

    And... speaking of words..... an amazing short story, written in 1903 by E.M. Forster, called The Machine Stops, makes some powerful and scary reading given how incredibly prescient he was in predicting what our future (actually our current lives) would be like. Here are a couple of links to the short story itself, and a television adaptation of the story:

    The Short Story
    http://archive.ncsa.illinois.edu/prajlich/forster.html

    TV Adaptation
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvrGUnIFuRs

    So keep going Drew. Find those books that are just perfect for exactly the right person at exactly the right moment.

    And read on!

    ReplyDelete